Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Final Countdown

Before I get started I want to apologize to my very talented wonderful husband.  The stress and tension of building a house has apparently gotten to us.  Monday was not a good day for us.  We chose to do all of the flooring ourselves as well as the paint in order to save some money especially since we were upgrading certain things in the kitchen and bathroom.  Well when Mark talked to the builder on Monday and was told that it was almost $1000 extra for cultured granite in the bathroom rather than cultured marble.  Apparently that was the straw that broke the camels back because the next thing you know he is on the phone with me and screaming about stopping construction on the house until we have an itemized list of all of the expenses and we were 15k over budget.  Well when you think you have to come up with an additional 15k it tends to make your heart stop.

I let him scream because what else could I do?  I knew it wasn't directed towards me and so I let it go.  This went on for three more calls that day and still I stayed calm and let him vent.  Let me back up for a minute and explain that we have been laying the wood floor and everything was going great.  We spent Saturday and Sunday at  the house and only had hallways and the pantry to do on Monday and Tuesday night.  On Monday night we had to figure out how to make a transition on the floor from going forward to backward.  We did figure it out but it was still time consuming and before you know it Mr Stress Ball is freaking out again.

We work in silence for a bit until he insinuates that he is doing all the work and then I lose it.  We exchange some not so nice words and then continue to work.  Now envision this, I'm standing there and I have a three foot long piece of hardwood flooring in my hands, Mark is bent over plugging in the jig saw and I have this sudden urge to just hit him over the head with the wood piece. Please believe that I have never, ever, ever felt the urge to cause him bodily harm, even during our previous remodeling projects and building a monster truck.  I didn't hit him and I never would have, I just wanted to for a minute, hence the apology at the beginning of this post.  I confessed to him last night and I really don't think he is going to let me live it down.  He's now convinced that I am trying to off him, I told him not until the landscaping was finished (wink, wink).  Needless to say this post is more for me than for him since there is no way Mark is ever going to read this post or at least not this far down.

Now for the building update...  The wood floor is almost done, we just have to do the pantry, we would have been done last night but we ran into a staple issue and had to make a run to Lowes in Harrisville first.  I would post pictures but there is so much dust in the house that when I take the picture it looks like it is snowing in the house.  It is just lovely though.  The stucco is done (finally!).  Just FYI, if you are going to stucco in the winter be prepared to pay additional charges for having your house tarped for two weeks (like that was my fault?  They could have worked the week before Christmas but chose not to, remember when I busted them on that very nice sunny Friday before Christmas?), either way the tarp is off, although I have not actually seen the finished product in the daylight I hear it looks great.  Don't even get me started on the jerk, Mike, that works for a reputable rock supplier who tried to tell me that I couldn't pick stucco colors from a paint swatch, even though that was what the sales lady showed us.  So after he argues with me he says that he gave the stucco guy samples of the colors that I picked (from the paint swatches!!!) and I need to approve them.  As Kandis would say, "What the Fluff!!"  If he can make the color from the swatch for a sample why can he not just give it to the the stucco guy from the swatch instead of wasting my time arguing with me???  I was very surprised at the level of service he provided considering they are a major supplier of rock for builders, can you guess who that is?  I probably wouldn't go back there as a first option or even a second option.

The soffet facia was completed today and the garage door should be installed tomorrow (which reminds me of another story...), hopefully we will have electricity soon.  The bathroom surrounds, kitchen cupboards, and island are scheduled to be installed the last week of January.  After that it is just little stuff like faucets and knobs and we can wrap it up.  We should easily be able to close by Valentines, a little longer than I was hoping for but it's finally almost here.  Septic is almost ready to be done, we are looking at the next two weeks for that and then I guess we might have running water.

So back to the garage door.  We are just finishing up the long hallway last night and there is rustling in our garage.  Mark checks it out and comes face to face with a SKUNK!!!  Thankfully he didn't scare it enough to spray.  Not so thankfully, it would not leave the garage, which is the primary entrance and exit to the house.  After we finished the floor we checked one more time and it was still in there so it was out the front door we went, which has about three feet of snow on the walkway since no one had used it since the first snow storm.  By the time we got to the car our feet were soaked and we were was freezing.  We finally made it home at 10:45, grrr, these have been some long nights.  If we had had a garage door we wouldn't have had this issue, apparently the installer was waiting on the stucco to be finished.  

Notice the time on this post?  We clearly didn't go to the house tonight, apparently there were important tv shows on...  I guess it's okay I needed a break too.  It's back the grind tomorrow night though.

p.s. We really aren't 15k over budget, Chicken Little was just overreacting slightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment